Home is a bold, inventive new participatory production that will animate public spaces across Birmingham city centre during International Dance Festival Birmingham 2012. Home will be an evolving promenade-style performance event, engaging thousands of people as audiences and participants. The production will present a diversity of dance styles and art forms from community participants and professionals.
There will be a cast of 6 professional dancers/actors (and up to 15 apprentices) who will be contracted for six weeks; three weeks creation and three weeks performance. As well as the dancers creating the material, there will be five choreographers appointed to create individual set pieces of work. Working with the Director, the role of the Assistant Director is to catalogue and pull all of the contributions and material into a cohesive evolving promenade-style performance. The whole project will be overseen by Creative Director David Massingham and Project Manager Gemma Thomas.
Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience of Assistant Direction, at least two productions
- Past experience or good understanding of working as a choreographer or movement director and an interest in working with artists from different disciplines including dance
- Past experience of working with a range of community groups and non-professionals
- Experience of working in public spaces
- Keen intelligence and rigorous approach to dramaturgy
- Can demonstrate a commitment to originality and a desire to expand their understanding of theatre practice
- Outstanding organisational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work in an ever-changing high-pressure work environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and experience of managing people
- Have a current CRB or be willing to undertake one
Application Deadline: Wednesday 25 January 2012, 5pm
Interview Dates: w/c 30 January 2012
Research period: Dates tbc (2 weeks)
Creation period: 2-20 April 2012 (3 weeks)
Performance period (and continuing creation) + Finale: 23 April -13 May (3 weeks)
Fee: 3,600 including planning and preparation + 6 weeks residence in Birmingham.Accommodation provided in Birmingham (a self catering apartment).
To applysend a CV with a covering letter by post or email demonstrating your experience and an Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form.For more information contact Gemma Thomas, Project Manager at DanceXchange on0121 689 1091 or email@example.com.